Monday, March 8, 2010

Almost Crunch Time

Three Objects of Interest (Pen and Ink)

So apparently there are less than two months left this semester. That blows, especially because I haven't been able to practice voice for the past two weeks. I usually enjoy losing my voice (huskiness is fun!) but right now I'm anxious to get it back. Plus my throat still really hurts. Maybe I'll go to the health center tomorrow to make sure nothing serious is up...

Yesterday (Saturday) Emilie and I drove up to Snow Summit. We took four hours total of snowboarding lessons which I personally thought were REALLY helpful. I'm also glad that I had snowboarded a few times sans lesson, though. It made it so I wasn't nervous during the lesson(s), just excited to learn.

Our first instructors were an interesting juxtaposition of super chill and informative/mildly condescending. Our second instructor was a nice combination of chill and informative, without the mildly condescending.

And now I'm semi snowboard obsessed. Granted, I have been wanting to snowboard for years (a decade? How embarrassing...) now, and seeing myself progressing quickly (it comes pretty naturally for me) gets me extra excited to get really good. Good enough to do (double?) black diamond runs, at least. Maybe by the end of next season? Now THAT would be cool.

I'm trying to figure out what the most economical way of learning how to snowboard would be. I'm debating a season pass (if I get one after the 15th it'll be good all of next season as well), but they're pretty expensive. I'm definitely going to get gear... but I'm going to hold off until I try skiing (on the off chance that I love skiing more than snowboarding).

Ski poles kind of scare me, though.

I posted a really awesome snowboarding video on my Tumblr. The first girl in the video (Victoria Jealouse) is REALLY good. Super inspirational. Yay!

I just finished my drawing project for tomorrow (headphones, snowboarding gloves, and my purse - in case you couldn't tell) and an orchestration quiz. I need to seriously start reading The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk for lit... but it's an intimidating (albeit interesting looking), fat, hardcover book and I'm really, really tired. As soon as I'm done with this post I'll go do that but there's a high risk I will just fall asleep. Which would be bad. Because I need to read it.

Gah I'm really excited about snowboarding. Once I master the basics, I plan to learn a little bit of freestyle and what not so I can ultimately be a better freerider. I'm a little worried about freeriding because I hate heights... but maybe I'll get over it by then. I found a board I really like. It's supposed to be a really good board to learn/progress on. I think I've picked out some good/decent bindings to go with... and for boots I'll have to go try some on. I already have outerwear, goggles, and gloves so that's no big. I might get a new beanie. The one I have is a little bit small/thin (it isn't really made for snow).

But like I said - I will try skiing first.

I also came across an awesome looking 11 day ski/snowboard tour (!) in New Zealand (!!) during their winter season (August/September) complete with helicopter lifts (!!!)... but that won't be for this year. That's for next year, after I've gotten the basics down and have risen to an intermediate level of sorts (hopefully), and after I have money to shell out on the trip.

Ahhhhh but snowboarding! In New Zealand!!

Anddd now I'm done.

EDIT: Changed my mind about the bindings. Going to get these instead :P

3 comments:

  1. ack, I have never been snow boarding or skiing in my life, despite going to Utah nearly every winter of my youth and living there for a little while. Its super flat here in Illinois, not that I would actually want to go, but I always know people talking about traveling to exotic Wisconsin for slighting less crappy skiing.

    Good luck with your new hobby anyways, as well as finishing your last semester!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh Wisconsin... one of those states I NEVER think about O.o

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its not really something that anyone thinks about. Wisconsin Dells is actually kind of nice in that there is a waterpark on every single street corner. So compared to all the nothing states in the middle of the country, Wisconsin is slightly better. They also have lots of cheese.

    ReplyDelete