Saturday, July 4, 2009

Excessive Recapping



I wanted to get a quick update in today, just because the things I'd like to blog about are piling up. So I'm going to do an expanded highlights post if you will.

Last week I enjoyed a date at the Yardhouse (in which I wasn't super hungry so I ordered crab cake appetizers and a side of mashed potatoes and some Pyramid Hef on tap... and realized five minutes in that I ordered three of the most filling things on the menu). Afterwards, we went and saw Star Trek on a whim. I liked it, although it took a little while for me to figure out who the main characters were supposed to be (I'd never watched any episodes of the Kirk/Spock Star Trek). Interestingly, I also thought the movie was more climatic towards the beginning and middle. The end was exciting, but not as gripping for me as the beginning and middle were, if that makes sense.

The Star Trek movie also inspired us to actually watch the original TV show. We watched the first episode of the first season the other day. I actually really liked it! Yes, it was funny in a "wow, those foam rocks are pretty basic" kind of way... but it was also funny in a "wow, this is actually a pretty witty script" kind of way. And the plot was interesting! Win. I'm excited to watch more :P

Another meal of note was when my mom took the boy and me out to a Vietnamese restaurant in my city, although I can't remember what it's called. They both got pho, but I've been anti-pho lately (I had wayy too much of the stuff my freshman year of college, and it was never a favorite soup of mine) so I got a garlic chicken dish. Wasn't nearly as good as the Vietnamese crispy shrimp from my six month's dinner a while back, though :/

Yesterday I got breakfast with my dad at the Ruby's Moto Diner at the Spectrum, in which I got some corned beef hash and eggs. My Uncle's Restaurant has better corned beef hash, though.

I went to the Moto-Ruby's again for dinner with the boy, where we shared a plate of Black and Bleu Sliders with sweet potato fries - my favorite dish there. It's indescribably delicious. We rushed through the meal so we could get good seats for the 10:20 showing of Transformers IMAX. It was pretty awesome watching Transformers in IMAX. The movie definitely had it's issues (why was the old Decipticon that supposedly existed a "millenium ago" transformed into a 1970s fighter plane when it was found? Hmm?), but it was still entertaining. And I like the Transformer movies because, well, what's not to like about gigantic robot creatures fighting for 2.5 hours straight? And Optimus Prime is pretty bad ass. The only REAL beef I had with the movie was the fact that EVERY SINGLE GIRL depicted at the college Sam attends was hot. That is SO unrealistic. And all it does is show that whoever cast the movie specifically chose girls based on their appearance (to appeal to teenage boys, I suppose). I'm very confident with my own appearance, but it still irks me that a movie could be so shallow in it's casting :(

Let's see...

Oh, I was hoping to go to the most recent Create:Fixate event, "Build", last weekend... but through a series of events, the boy and I didn't make it to LA until after 10pm. Which was unfortunate because the price of admission goes up after 10pm. Also, the event was being held in a warehouse (pretty cool), BUT that meant that it was in a really sketch part of town and, by the time we found the place, there was absolutely no street parking. And, seeing that it was already really late (at this point it was approaching midnight, and even though "Build" lasted until 3am, I was hoping to get there at 8pm), it didn't seem worth it anymore to pay the more expensive admission price as well as pay to park in a lot (something I HATE about LA). We quickly decided to just go back to my apartment and catch up on Bleach. It was still a fun night. Breakfast was tasty the next morning too :)

Oh for those who are wondering, the boy is enduring his broken collar bone pretty well. I know he's hurting, but he tries not to complain, and he's getting more adept at using only his left arm to get around :) On Tuesday I baked some yellow butter cupcakes and frosted them with lemon cream cheese icing, intending to take some over to him. As circumstance would have it, I wasn't able to bring them over until Thursday :/ They were still tasty, though :)

I also went to Westwood this past week and had a delicious (late) lunch at Versailles (YUM Cuban food!) and enjoyed a bit of window shopping at The Grove. I'm not really a huge fan of shopping, but I'll go every once in a while, especially to some place like The Grove (where there are other things to do besides waste -er, spend- money). Anyway, that day concluded with a viewing of The Proposal, which I actually REALLY enjoyed! I do like Sandra Bullock (her movies are entertaining), and even though it was a chick flick-ish type movie, this one wasn't annoying. The character of the female lead wasn't weak and whiny, and I respected that. And it was FUNNY! So yeah. I recommend it :)

Other things I've been doing include playing piano/singing as often as I can, playing with Bubba/Boba (who's still here, surprisingly), not taking pictures (I'd been using my cellphone camera lately, but now that I don't have it anymore, I'm out of habit), and helping my mom with her real estate endeavors. For example, the other night we spent 2 some hours shoving 200 small American flags into the lawns of our neighborhood. That picture up there is one I took of our last 10 or so flags.

Anyway, I'm late leaving for a BBQ at the boy's house so I'm off. I didn't realize I had so much to talk about from this past week, haha.

Happy 4th of July everyone :)

2 comments:

  1. I forgot all about Ruby's, probably one of my favorite places to go when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same! I remember always getting the kids meal so I could get a tasty hot dog and a toy :P Do they have them in Illinois?

    ReplyDelete