Thursday, September 3, 2009

In Full Swing



Busy day today, but I'm taking a few minutes to sit and drink some vitamin water. It's hot (and grossly humid because of the fires) lately, so it's been far too easy to become dehydrated. Bad bad :(

Anyway, I haven't really talked about my schedule for the semester. So far I like it. It's a nice balance, and surprisingly music empty. Classes are as follows:

BUAD200 - Foundation to Economics
FA212 - Wheel Throwing
MUSC310 - Music Recording
MUSC422 - The Beatles: Their Music & Their Times
MPVA301 - Voice Lesson
PSYC201 - The Science of Happiness
PSYC360 - Abnormal Psychology

It's unit heavy (20), but I have a couple of fluffy classes (Wheel Throwing and Beatles) so it shouldn't be TOO bad. Wheel Throwing is ceramics, by the way. It's SUPER nice to have time in my schedule to do it. My background is handbuilding - I've only worked on the wheel occasionally, back in the day - so manipulating clay on the wheel has been a small challenge. But I think I've got the hang of the basics. I made 9 cylinders last class! (Our current project is to make a sculpture out of 10 cylinders. I made a grand total of 1 the first class, so making 9 last class was a much needed morale booster, haha).

The other classes I like so far, although you can't really tell in the first few weeks. My ECON professor is still engaging, which is great. I've only had one voice lesson so far and it was successful, which was a nice surprise (for both me and my professor). My PSYC classes are fantastic because I love psychology. I had my first PSYC201 discussion/lab today (it's technically a science GE so I think the school requires a separate lab for it), and in it we played a game based off of the "Prisoner's Dilemma." The goal was to interact with classmates by playing a simplified version of Rock, Paper, Scissors to garner points, and the person with the most points at the end would win 2 bonus points in the class (which I THINK equates to 2% of your grade). And... I WON! :D

In other news, HapaSC hosted an Around the World Party on Tuesday and it threw off my schedule for the week. Fell behind and missed a few (hopefully) expendable classes yesterday in an attempt to catch up. First General Meeting today, though! Hope it goes well :)

4 comments:

  1. HapaSC sounds great. Its funny because when I lived in California most of my friends were at least partially asian (you, me, Shauna, Mayumi, and lots of my mom's friends' children). It was not intentional of course, but I hardly know any here. I know one girl who is half Filipino, but she doesn't even know how to use chopsticks. Also, she is annoying.

    Anyways, good luck with your classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA to the part where she is annoying :P That's too bad that there aren't many Asians over there! Having stayed in So Cal this whole time, its hard to imagine what that'd be like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's actually a pretty big Korean community in the suburbs out here and lots of Chinese in the city. In my last job half of the office was Chinese girls. My friend Vivian is from Sichuan and is always talking about beef and pandas (seriously, no stereotyping that is what she does). Most are either directly from their country or both there parents are so they don't tent to share the same multicultural perspective. Also (weirdly) to lots of asians, I'm not really azn enough and most people don't assume I'm partially or fully asian.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're not asian enough?? You look more asian than I do, haha. Then again, a lot of people just think I'm a funny looking white girl, so I get where you're coming from.

    Haha to the beef and pandas girl :P

    ReplyDelete