Friday, June 12, 2009

Photo Boxes



On Wednesday I enjoyed a completely "me" day. I craved Veggie Grill, so I went out and got some. I wanted boba, so I got some Cha (but only because I was in the area - Lollicup is better). I sat outside enjoying the beautiful weather, and finished reading The Devil in the White City (which was a very good book, by the way). I hadn't relaxed in front of the TV for nearly a month, so that night I decided some Law and Order was in order (haha). While watching, I played some old childhood games of mine that I found in a cabinet (Peg Solitaire and a balancing maze game that I can't for the life of me find an example of online).

All those things alone would have made Wednesday a fantastic day.

And then I found the boxes of old pictures.

I was looking through a cabinet in the kitchen in search of some D batteries (for another childhood game I had come across and wanted to play), and instead came across 3.5 heavy boxes filled entirely with pictures. The TV was still on, but I wasn't really paying attention because suddenly I was looking through pictures of myself, my parents, our dog, relatives, friends - everything dating pre 1998, with most pictures dating pre 1990. I've only gotten through 1.5 boxes (these boxes are seriously FILLED), but it's been really interesting/fun for me so far.

I've mentioned before that I have a hideously bad memory. Finding these pictures so I can recall bits of my childhood is amazing. Looking through them I realized two things: one, that I was by far the worst dressed kid EVER... and two, after a while I was examining the smiles of the people in the pictures. I guessed that I was looking for something. I told the boyfriend this and he agreed that it was something I would do.

On a side note, even though I regularly take hundreds of digital pictures... I still prefer hard copies. For me, it's just so much more nostalgic to sift through a box of old hard copies of pictures, versus click through a folder of old digital copies of pictures. To be fair, this might have something to do with the fact that all the childhood/young parent pictures I possess are hard copies because digital technology didn't exist at the time. Still, I have a feeling that the hard copy would evoke just that much more memory, if not for any more reason beyond the fact that the picture itself smells old, or looks old, or is faded, or has a stain on it.



On another side note, it's true. We've definitely come a long way since game night. :)

4 comments:

  1. I started Devil in the White City last year but unfortunately never got to finish it! It was sooo good, but i think a bunch of things just ended up gettin in the way, and i never got back around to it.

    I agree, there's a certain preciousness about hard copies of photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hard copies of photos are SOOOOO much better. For me, they hold more value than digital that can be wiped away with a push of a button while with actual printed photos, it's more... meaningful, I find...? keep on writing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog. I enjoyed reading it today.
    I had some time to do some blog hopping...
    I always enjoy finding new blogs and new friends.
    Hope you will stop by and visit me.
    This month I am posting on our Disney trip plus a June giveaway.....plus a new grandson that will arrive on Tuesday....

    ReplyDelete
  4. No no. I swear I was THE worst dressed kid. My childhood fashion was baaaaad cringe cringe.

    ReplyDelete