Monday, June 15, 2009

Dear Noah

My dear friend. I found out last night. I'm still processing the news. It has been so long since we've spoken face to face, it's hard to comprehend the impossibility of once again speaking in the same way. I am devasted to know that, by chance, I was 150 miles from home but only a block and a half away from you when you were found. That whole night, even. I almost contacted you that weekend. Or I wanted to. I didn't realize it would be the last realistic chance for me to do so. I'm sorry. I am trying not to dwell. I don't think you would want me - or anyone - to. Instead I am remembering. Memories of you taking my Pochacco lunch box every day at school. Your hilarious comments that brightened every class we shared. The video projects you would do that made me cry tears of laughter. Always making me laugh. At school. After school. At dances. Our dance. At my birthday party. Our birthdays are a day apart. For the rest of my life I will remember you on your birthday. It will be impossible for me to not. I miss you. Remembering all our interactions. Making fun of each other. Pestering each other. Eighth grade was our year, wasn't it? Things changed, but I had my memories. Things have changed again, but I still have my memories. Oh Noah. "You'll be in my heart. No matter what they say, you'll be here in my heart. Always."